Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Join now Buy now
Share this Article

Baby's had an accident!


My little adventurer is not scared of anything. Since they learnt to walk, bumps, scratches and other injuries are a daily occurrence. How can I tell the difference between a minor cut and a more serious wound? What is the right attitude to adopt?

Tuesday, March 3rd, 2020

Whether on all fours or playing in Grandad's garden, both girls and boys will find a way to hurt themsleves. Bruised legs, bumps all over… parent-nurses have their work cut out! An overview of the symptoms and remedies for treating superficial wounds.

Bumps and bruises

Learning to walk does not come without its lot of falls! Most of the time they are fortunately not serious. For bruises or little bumps, place an ice pack on the affected area to minimize bruising. Apply a small amount of arnica cream to non-open wounds and use a cooling spray to immediately ease the pain. Don't forget to kiss it better!

When to seek medical advice If your baby has banged their head, it is better not to take risks. Immediately consult your doctor or call 1122. You should also consult if your baby loses consciousness (even for a few seconds), vomits, becomes dizzy, complains of a headache or begins acting strangely within 36 hours of the fall: inconsistent speech, drowsiness etc.

Cuts and wounds

If the wound only bleeds a little, run it under water and clean with a little soap if necessary, then press on it for a few seconds with a clean piece of fabric. You can then apply a colourless antiseptic product before drying with a compress and putting a plaster on. Change the plaster regularly.

When to seek medical advice If the cut or wound is deep, notably on the face, you should go and see a doctor in case stitches or strips are required.


If the skin is just red, this means it is a first-degree burn and can be treated easily. The first thing you should do, regardless of the size of the area, is to run cold water on the burn. You can then apply a soothing gel or ointment.

When to seek medical advice If the burn is extensive and deep, if it is on the face, hands or feet, you should take your child to casualty or call 1122. If you have the slightest doubt it is best to seek medical advice, even if it was more frightening than anything else.

Insect bites

Ant or mosquito bites are not usually serious. If your child itches a lot, ask your pharmacist for an anti-itching cream. Bee or wasp stings require closer attention as your child may be allergic to them. Bees may leave part of their stinger in the skin and you should remove it using tweezers or a venom pump. You should then disinfect the wound with an antiseptic product. If your child is in pain, apply a cold compress or ice pack. If it itches, you can use an antihistamine (ask your doctor for advice).

When to seek medical advice If your baby has been stung on the face or in the mouth, if they have been stung several times in different places or if the reaction is severe.

Nappy rash

During teething, your baby may get a red bottom. This may be nappy rash which can set in quickly but take some time to disappear.

When to seek medical advice Ask your doctor for advice.

Don't forget that hygiene is important. Wash Baby's bottom with water and gentle soap each time they pass a stool, then dry carefully. Your doctor may also prescribe you a protective cream. You should change your baby's nappy as often as possible.

Colds in babies are often associated with an ear infection, otitis. A cold, sore ears, a high temperature, and diarrhoea may also be present. Your baby may be grouchy and shake their head from side to side while crying or touching their ears.

When to seek medical advice You should ask your doctor for advice if you have the slightest doubt.


Viral infections may cause your baby to have a high temperature. Do not cover them up too much and check the temperature of the room (ideally, it should be around 19°C). Take your baby's temperature and give them fluids regularly.

When to seek medical advice After 3 days, if the temperature is still high, you should consult your doctor rapidly.

Read more

Join My First 1000 Days Club

Parenting peace of mind, just a click away. Get your personal weekly advice and solutions via email.

  • learn-nutritionLearn about nutrition at your pace
  • tailored-toolsTry out tailored practical tools
  • help-adviceGet help & answers you need in no time
Related Content
Article Reviews

Still haven't found
what you are looking for?

Try our new smart question engine. We'll always have something for you.